Saturday 1 October 2016

Gigantic Blister!

Yesterday didn't start too well, when I discovered that I had the largest blister you could possibly imagine on the inside of my right foot! It took two blister plasters to protect it, and these were then covered in loads of tape, courtesy of some friendly Australians. It was so painful that it was impossible to put my boots on, but, thankfully, my walking sandals were alright. With the aid of my pole, I managed to hobble along the 9 miles to our Quinta at Casal.

Field of grapes on our way to Casal, in the Facha area

There were no large towns on our walk, but we passed through beautiful countryside, much of it agricultural. Fields of grapes were being harvested, and how wonderful it was to be presented with numerous bunches by those bringing in the harvest! The Quinta here grows sweet chestnuts, and after our meal, our host specially roasted some chestnuts for us to eat. You couldn't wish for anything more special than that.


Small churches line our route, such as this one, and many are dedicated to St. Sebastian. We have also noticed that more often, than not, it will be a statue of Our Lady above the altar, mostly Our Lady of Fatima, rather than of Christ.


Maybe I am a bit strange, but I do find cemeteries fascinating, and the ones here are no exception. They are immaculately kept, with mausoleums for family groups. Flowers are placed on many graves, and there were people in this one cleaning and scrubbing the headstones.

To perform the pilgrimage authentically, it is necessary to carry your belongings, and this involves washing clothes daily. I came out of my room yesterday afternoon, and did find it amusing to see a row of chairs on the lawn with washing hanging from them!


Off for breakfast!

Love

Rina

No comments:

Post a Comment