Sunday 16 October 2016

I am sad to say that this will be my last post from here in Santiago de Compostela. We are taking a coach back to Porto Airport tomorrow, and it will be quite a change getting up in the morning, and not having the pressure of training for the Camino upon me! I have, however, already resolved to keep up the training in preparation for the Simple Pilgrim Walking Pilgrimages that are being planned. Keep in touch with the blog, or contact me, as I think we are in for some very exciting times!

As promised, below are some 'photos out and about in Santiago. There seems to be a problem uploading 'photos at the moment as the broadband is weak, so there are not as many here as I would have liked. I will put all of the 'photos that I have taken during the pilgrimage on the Gallery when we return, so you will be able to look at them then.

The front facade of Santiago Cathedral, sadly covered in scaffolding

The square in front of the Cathedral

 Pilgrims outside the Pilgrim Hostel of the Catholic Kings and Queens, now a Parador
As you can see, it is quite busy here, much busier than when I last visited a couple of August's ago. The appearance of the market stalls in front of the Cathedral itself, does impact on your sense of arrival as a pilgrim. Also unfortunate is all the scaffolding on the front of the building, and over the altar, but this is essential maintenance, and to be expected, I suppose.

We have not yet "hugged" the statue of St. James above the altar, or visited his relics, as the queues have been enormous. We are waiting for a quiet period, as it would be lovely to say a quiet prayer or two there.

The Pilgrim's Mass Sunday morning attracted a huge congregation, and we were standing at the back of the Cathedral. There are monitors to the side, so you can see what is going on. Despite warnings about people taking 'photos during Mass, this was not too much of a problem, as people were asked before Mass not to do this. The very large incense burner was only used at the end of Mass for a short time, so it was not too much of a distraction.

For me, it was the preparation and journey, rather than the arrival here in Santiago that was more important. I have been surprised at the sheer number of people undertaking the pilgrimage. It was difficult to be silent, as other pilgrims were continually overtaking, and wishing me "Bon Camino!". I suppose the answer to this is that I just need to speed up!

Strangely enough, a good proportion of the pilgrims in my group thought that our experience in Padron where St. James preached, was the highlight of the trip. We were the only ones there, and, somehow, we felt more in touch with St. James in that lonely, and mystical place. How unfortunate that so many pilgrims miss this experience as they are focused more on reaching their destination, than exploring along the way.

Thank you for following us here on the Camino Portugueses, and keep following the Simple Pilgrim blog, to keep up with all the latest news. We have lots of exciting plans!

Love

Rina

No comments:

Post a Comment